Saturday, July 10, 2010

The SecretLife of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

Reading it soon after Lord of the Rings and Cryptonomicon I found it a little too light and easy.

The idyllic setting that Lily finds herself in rang a little bit untrue to me. I really don’t think a runaway would have been taken in like that but then she did look like Deborah and August recognized her I guess.

I felt anxious reading it as I thought that something awful was going to happen to Zach at some stage.

The backdrop of the bee keeping was interesting though and so was their religious praise of Mary of the Chains.

It wasn’t a bad book, it’s a kind of feel good book even though it doesn’t have the classic happy ending but I think if I was going to read about black civil rights and coloured people were treated I would turn to To Kill a Mockingbird every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment