Monday, July 12, 2010

The Mating Season - P G Wodehouse

This was a delightfully funny and farcical story starring the famous duo Bertie Wooster and his man servant Jeeves.


A simple invite to a gathering at Deverill Hall turns into a race against time to save a number of relationships. The problematic situation is compounded by the fact that due to circumstances (and Jeeves’ connivance) Wooster is in disguise as the newt fancier Gussie Fink-Nottle whose relationship is first on the list, and Gussie unexpectedly arrives as Bertie with Jeeves in tow.

Jeeves, however, comes up with the solutions when all seems lost in his indomitable style.

I really liked the kindhearted, silly Bertie Wooster, and the jokes he came up with. My favourite, which fell flat at the Deverill gathering was:

There were three elderly men on a train traveling to Wembley. The men were hard of hearing, and as the trained pulled up at the station the first man said ‘this must be Wembley’, the second man said, ‘I thought it was Thursday’ and the third man said ‘so am I’!

Great innocent stuff. I can’t wait to read about more of Bertie’s antics.

1 comment:

  1. The Mating Season is my favourite of the entire canon. All the Wooster - Jeeves books are superb (as are all the Blandings books too) but The Mating Season makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.

    I particularly like the Wembley - Wednesday scene, but even more than Bertie’s joke I enjoy the aunt’s retelling of the joke.

    ReplyDelete