Monday, July 12, 2010

The Blind Assassin ~ Margaret Atwood

Iris Chase Griffin recounts her life story from a privileged upbringing in a small town in Canada, to a sham marriage, a messy divorce and estrangement from her daughter and grand-daughter, and the truth behind her sister Laura’s death.


The Blind Assassin of the title is a book that is published under Laura’s name, which is the title of the pulp science fiction novel being written by the lover of the novel’s heroine (which as the story develops bears relevance to the Chase Griffin story).

Normally I enjoy books within books type of novels, but I found the pulp science fiction segments too long and a device that I did not enjoy for the plot development.

If it was a true autobiography I probably would have had more interest in it, but it was too long all in all and apart from the real historical events, and happenings in Canada at the time, I actually felt that this book was a lot about nothing and that I had wasted my time reading it.

Looking up on the net Iris Chase Griffin has become a favourite literary figure, so this novel has been enjoyed by others. This novel however, disappointingly, was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment