Monday, July 12, 2010

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Dracula is a genuinely creepy telling of the Vampire legend. The story is actually told by various journals and letters from various characters.


Jonathan Harker is the first to encounter Dracula in his native homeland, and has to draw on all his reserves to face him once again when he is discovered in England.

With the assistance of the legendary Dr Van Helsing Jonathan and his friends follow Dracula’s deadly trail and endeavour to free his tortured soul, and at the same time save Jonathon’s beloved wife who has fallen under the vampire's spell.

There are some genuinely spine-tingling moments in the narration, especially the ship’s log describing Dracula’s passage to England and why a crewman is found dead and tied to the ship’s wheel ~ a real goose bump moment.

5 comments:

  1. What's the prose like on this? I've never read an old book before. 1897 is old for me anyway

    Yeah if you want a 'faithful film' watch Nosferatu - Werner Herzog or the 1922 version

    http://scannerdarkly7.blogspot.com/2010/08/nosferatu-eine-symphonie-des-grauens.html

    What's the cover to your 1001 Books Before You Die? Is it the American Psycho cover or something else?

    Cheers, Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did this as an audio book, the narration was excellent. The prose was fine, it wasn't dated at all. There were some really genuinely creepy moments and I think it's Stoker's best work. I recently read The Lair of the White Worm and it was abysmal. I do own a copy of Nosferatu, it's best watched with the lights out and I can imagine it terrified audiences when it was first released!

    My 1001 Book List was a copy made by one of my Caffeine and Chapters Book Club members so I don't know what the cover is unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  3. What copy do you have? The 1922 one by Murnau or Werner Herzog version? Both are brilliant

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murnau. Did you see the movie Shadow of The Vampire, a very black comedy about the filming of Nosferatu. Willem Dafoe plays Count Orlock and was absolutely brilliant. One of my favourite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always had him down as a highly commercial actor but now I'm not so sure. Was intending to watch that film, yeah

    ReplyDelete