Monday, July 12, 2010

Dr Bloodmoney - Phillip K Dick

I was starting to have withdrawal symptoms from lack of reading Science Fiction, and this was definitely a good hit to sustain me.


Survivors of a nuclear event are trying to rebuild their lives and their society, with some measure of success. There is no longer radio or television but the residents of West Marin are able to pick up a transmission from a lonely satellite orbiting in space after it’s failed attempt to reach Mars. Dangerfield, the sole occupant, is spending his time reading the classics to his earthbound audience whilst hoping for a rescue. The classic that he reads throughout this novel is (believe it or not) Of Human Bondage. As I was reading Of Human Bondage at the same time, there were a few plot spoilers in there for me!

The residents of West Marin are unknowingly harbouring Dr. Bloodmoney the main instigator of ‘the event’ that they have just survived and who seems to have attained higher magical powers. However, a phocomelus and a young girl’s twin brother Bill (who is a sentient fetus living inside his sister) must battle the Dr and each other for supremacy.

Not for everyone, but I really enjoyed this.

3 comments:

  1. Fairly confused here, don't mean to be rude but could you tell me more about why you enjoyed it rather than a brief description of the book?

    I tried to read this one by him a while back. Dunno if you've heard of it

    http://scannerdarkly7.blogspot.com/2010/05/philip-k-dick-three-stigmata-of-palmer.html

    Cheers Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the characters I guess, they had that touch of wackiness that epitomises Dick's work. The story is quite involved and in places reminded me of The Stand (which was published much later by Stephen King) and Total Recall (based on another Dick Novel). It's the good old story of survival, and a power struggle thrown in. The characters stay with you for a while especially Hoppy Harrington the phocomelus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think characters are really lifeless when it comes to him. Same lowkey male characters across all his work. Guess it doesn't really affect the story

    ReplyDelete