Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Sacred Book of the Werewolf ~ Victor Pelevin

Never judge a book by its cover – or its title!  When I saw this on the Guardian’s 1000 Books on Twitter I just had to get it from the library.  Whilst it was entertaining, a lot of it also went over my head.  Perhaps if I read more philosophy and Russian literature/history I would have appreciated it a bit more.

On the surface it’s a love story between a were-fox and a were-wolf, it’s very unusual and in places quite funny, but it’s not a horror novel which I was expecting and it’s not a light read.  Actually in places I felt like I was reading The End of Mr Y (although I found that novel to be much more pretentious than this one).

It is a departure from the other Russian novelists I have tried; but as far as being on a must read list – well, you’d have to judge for yourself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment