Thursday, May 5, 2011

Diary ~ Chuck Palahniuk

A dark satire about an island legend that is re-enacted every third generation.  It's a story about re-incarnation, torture and ritual sacrifice, and it really should be my cup of tea but I didn't like the way it was written.  The  novel is a 'coma diary', but it just doesn't read like a diary.  There is another diary is the story which is owned by the  protagonist's (Misty Wilmot) mother-in-law who claims to know what Misty is thinking or how she is feeling because it is 'in the diary'.  The reason for this becomes apparent towards the end of the novel. 

As in Choke, there was a repeated phrase throughout.  This one being 'Just for the record' or 'Just for the record the weather today is.......' with the weather being Misty's current mood.  It was quite a claustrophobic novel, and the vibe was very much The Stepford Wives.  


I think that if I had read the actual book instead of listening to it I may have enjoyed it more than I did as the narrator, Martha Plimpton, had a rather dull bland voice.



No comments:

Post a Comment