Friday, February 25, 2011

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Haruki Murakami


How do I begin to review a novel that is as bizarre as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle?  Whatever I say won’t really do it justice; it truly is a strange collection of stories in the form of a novel.

The premise itself is simple, Toru Okada’s cat has gone missing and then his wife Komiko leaves him under mysterious circumstances.  In the search for his cat he meets the weirdly wonderful fifteen year old May Kasahara and the psychic sisters Malta and Creta Kano.  In the search for his wife he meets the equally strange Nutmeg Akasaka and her mute son Cinnamon.  All but May are using pseudonyms.

Toru also becomes acquainted with an old soldier called Lieutenant Mamiya, who tells him war stories from World War II.  These stories are very disturbing, and one of his experiences inspires Toru to utilise a dry well in the garden of an abandoned house to search for Komiko in an alternative reality.

It is the individual stories that each character has to tell that are so amazing in this novel.  Lieutenant Mamiya’s description of watching a man being skinned alive would work well as a stand alone piece in any unsettling fiction anthology, it truly gave me goose bumps.  Nutmeg has war stories to tell too, based on her father’s own war experiences and they link back to Lieutenant Mamiya’s.  She tells two stories of a massacre at a zoo – one involving the animals, and the other involving a group of Chinese men dressed in baseball outfits.

There are several connecting themes throughout Toru’s reality, his alternate reality and the various ‘short’ stories, and they are the dry well, a baseball bat and a blue/black mark that Toru finds on his face after spending a night in the well.  Each story has a dreamlike quality to it, they are strange, some are rambling but ultimately they are hypnotic, taking you away so that you feel you are there. Some stories are told to Toru by a character, whilst others are in letter form.

There is a kind of linear sequence to meeting each character but May Kasahara features throughout the novel.  She will rank as one of my all time favourite literary characters.  I would love to know who Murakami based her on, because she just had me laughing out loud.  She’s so dark, obsessed with death and suicide, but at the same time she is outrageously funny.  I did this novel as an audio book, and I think the narrator captured her brilliantly.  She is such a contrast to the boring Toru and when we came to each one of May’s scenes, I’d turn up the volume and just revelled in her eccentricities! 

If you enjoy the author Franz Kafka, or appreciate the work of David Lynch then you would really enjoy this.  If you like your novels to make sense then forget it!  You have to completely suspend your disbelief and just immerse yourself in the bizarre break from a mundane life that Toru experiences.  I for one cannot wait to read more of this fabulous author’s work.

So, with all this said and done you’ll probably want to know did the cat come back?  Well…….. you’ll have to read it and find out J

…………………………………………………………………………………………..
Labels: 1001, Modern Lit


6 comments:

  1. An audiobook? Interesting. Firstly, I'm listening to Murakami's running memoirs (What I Talk About When I Talk About Running) in audiobook form -- mainly when I'm commuting. The parts where he talks about novel writing are good, but the rest -- about running itself -- is very repetitive. Dull, actually. I suppose it warrants its own blog post.

    The comparison I'm trying to make is that sometimes, having a good narrator read dull parts to you makes it so much easier, at least I think. His prose isn't very challenging, or poetic, or his main attribute either. I mean it's okay -- nicer in books like Norwegian Wood. I think I've learnt a lot about Murakami from those running memoirs.

    I couldn't stand May. Maybe having her parts and her letters read out would have been better. I dreaded reading her letters -- they were dull. Filler material. I can only recommend you go read his other major works because they're better written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely will be, I'm tossing up between Kafka on the Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kafka is my favourite of his. I've got SS but haven't read it yet. Probably won't understand it due to the content, but then again lesbianism may be irrelevant, and since it was written by a man

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've downloaded Dance, Dance to my iPod. Just need time to listen to it. Kafka was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the paperback of that. Will read it soon. I don't like reading a lot of one author at once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean, I've nearly finished Dance, Dance, Dance and I think I'm over the abandonment theme and crazy characters!

    ReplyDelete