Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Thank You, Jeeves! ~ P G Wodehouse

Another delightful story where Bertie Wilberforce Wooster finds himself in a precarious situation and is in need of being bailed out by his valet Jeeves.
In this story Jeeves has actually left Bertie for employment elsewhere as he sick of Berties incessant playing of the banjolele.  This however does not prevent his expertise from being utilised – Jeeves is hired by the landlord of the cottage that Bertie has moved into after complaints about his playing from his city neighbours.    
Unfortunately if you add a drunken new Valet, a lovesick American heiress and some roaming minstrels into the mix - Berties bound to get into trouble!
This is laugh out loud stuff and I loved it.

2 comments:

  1. Wodehouse is on my list of authors to cover - one of the great stylistic users of the English language and a subtle wit all his own. Have you tried any of the Psmith (the P is silent) stories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't read any of the Psmith's, but now I've just had a quick look on Wikepedia I see that I really should. I've only read the Jeeves & Wooster novels and short stories so far. I love the way he sets up his scenarios ready for the characters to take a fall. He's quite brilliant.

    ReplyDelete